Thursday, December 24, 2009

Is it ok to wash dog with dandruff shampoo to treat dry skin?

I had a poodle for 15 years that had severe skin issues (he had puppy eczema). The only thing that i could wash him in without causing a severe reaction/itching/chewing holes in himself, was head and shoulders with conditioneer for dry scalp . My vet actually recommended it for him years ago. I never had a problem with his skin after I started bathing him with it. No oatmeal, hydorcortisone, or medicated shampoo helped him. I cannot tell you how many 100's of dollars I spent trying to find something that would work for him. I also fed him a can of tuna in oil once a week and put a spoonful of plain yogurt in his food 3 times a week (also helps with digestion, as well as skin and coat). Two more recommendations from my country vet!


Oh, yeah, the head and shoulders will also help kill any fleas that he may have. Good luck!





Addition: make sure he is eating a good food. No pedigree or dog chow junk. A lot of skin issues/shedding come from poor diet and grocery store dog foods are nothing but fillers. They have very little nutritional value for a dog.Is it ok to wash dog with dandruff shampoo to treat dry skin?
I would not try human anti-dandruff on a dog. Most of them have some serious chemicals in there and are not all that safe for human use- so I certainly would not try them on a dog.


There are doggie anti-dandruff shampoos out there that can help your situation- but with dandruff I would also be thinking there might be some form of a health issue there.


You might want to start to add some natural yoghurt, oily fish like tuna or sardines, egg, and cod liver oil to your dogs diet and see if his coat improves.


If not I would consult the vets about this next time your dog is due for a checkup.Is it ok to wash dog with dandruff shampoo to treat dry skin?
Washing a dog with dandruff shampoo will likely dry his skin out more. I recommend that my patients medicated shampoos, coat conditioners, supplements, itch reducers and fortified dog foods. Any product that will help to retain the moisture content on the dogs coat and skin will help a lot.
No. People shampoo is not Ph balanced for dogs, and can harm them. Dandruff shampoo is even worse. You need to go to a groomer or a vet (or possibly any store that sells pet supplies) and get a bottle of shampoo specially formulated for dogs. If your dog has dry skin, look for something with oatmeal.
NO! dog have more sensitive skin than we do you could try an oatmeal shampoo with a moisturizer it should help after a while or you can use a baby shampoo if not take the dog to a groomer and try an oatmeal shampoo and a moisturizer or a hypo shampoo.
Don't use human shampoo on your dog. Try oatmeal shampoo that's made to be used on dogs. That's what I use for both of my dogs that have very dry skin. It doesn't cost a lot of money, so pick some up and try it out. It works on my dogs. Good luck!
I dont know. Dandruff shampoo might be poisonous to the dog. Read the label and maybe ask a vet. They will know more than the people on here do. But I would advise getting a medicated shampoo instead to be on the safe side.
I haver tryed it before on my dogs and it works alot better then the medicated shampoo, its awesome i love use it on my dogs, the best it head and shoulders, and it make them smell good to lol
I think that the best type of shampoo to treat dry skin for dogs is


Johnson's Baby Shampoo. My friend uses it and it also makes


their fur not fall out so much. It's amazing. You should try it.
No you dont want to ever use human shampoos on your dogs. You need to get a good conditioning shampoo preferably one with oatmeal.
No. You figure out why he has dry skin. Are you bathing too often? That's usually the culprit. Bathe only once a month at most.
No, just go and get some dog shampoo with oatmeal (it treat dry skin and skin conditions)
Wash with a mild dog shampoo, then rub the dry skin with aloe gel.
why don't you just get medicated dog shampoo? ..
sure man. no problem at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment