Thursday, December 24, 2009

What is the best over the counter (OTC) Dandruff Shampoo?

I have been using Head %26amp; Shoulders for some time. I also use a small plastic brush to massage the scalp while shampooing but all this is doing is controlling the dandruff not getting rid of it. What is the best to use? There are so many to choose from.





Thank you for you input.





Bohica Joe


USAWhat is the best over the counter (OTC) Dandruff Shampoo?
Nizoral, which is a 2% Ketaconazole OTC shampoo. Any dandruff shampoo with Selenium Sulfide or Zinc Pyrithone (Head and Shoulders, etc..) will dry out and irritate your scalp, making things much worse.


Coal Tar shampoos work well, and 2% Salicylic acid shampoos work too.What is the best over the counter (OTC) Dandruff Shampoo?
I have a slight dandruff problem (used to be much worse). I tried all of the OTC stuff (Selsun Blue, Head and Shoulders, etc.) I didn't like these at all b/c they didn't work for me. I now use a hot oil treatment (warm 1/2 cup olive oil, massage it vigorously into scalp with fingers or plastic brush, leave in for 30 minutes, then follow with normal shampoo and conditioner). It makes my scalp really healthy, and my hair really shiny and smooth. Make sure you're using a good conditioner- I switched to Pantene and love it. It's very moisturizing.
Selsun Blue contains a medication which helps control some bacteria which can cause dandruff. It doesn't always make it go away, but you can get a reprieve for a week or so from one good washing. There are several varieties which gives you a choice depending on your skin type and hair type. Good luck.
Selsun Blue
  • skin conditions
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment